Monday, January 14, 2013

T Minus 2


Only 2 more days until I start working as a Team Leader for FEMA Corps a new program under Americorps.  The program kicked off in August 2012 and is a residential national service program for adults between the ages of 18 and 24 that are interested in a career in emergency management.  I know exactly what you’re thinking...isn't Susan is a bit older than 24???  Lucky for me, there isn’t an age limit for team leaders only the crew. 

So what exactly have I signed up for?  The next 10 months I will receive training and experience in responding to natural disasters.  For the 1st month I’ll get training with 25 other team leaders in Sacramento, CA.  The 2nd month is more of the same but with our crew members.

Most challenging part will be waking up at the crack ass of dawn.  5:30 AM???  For those you who know anything about me I LOVE to sleep.  The more the better.  Kind of worried but I like the idea of becoming a morning person.

Below is a sample day during the team leader training:

5:25 AM                     Assemble
5:30 – 6:30 AM            Physical Training
6:30 – 7:45 AM            Shower, breakfast, prepare for day’s activities
7:45 – 8:00 AM            Team Muster
8:00 – 12 noon            Morning Training (classes, workshops, team activities)
12:00 – 12:45 PM         Lunch
12:45 -- ?                   Afternoon Training
5:00 – 6:30 PM            Dinner
6:30 – 9:00 PM            Evening Training/Team Leader Prep Time

From the looks of it, it comes close to boot camp without the fatigues.  At first glance, I question what the hell I’m doing but I’m hoping I’ll appreciate some structure in my life...especially after lacking it for the past 2 years.   Soon enough I’ll let you know how it goes.

7 comments:

  1. Hey Susan!!! This looks fantastic!!! I admire your "just do it" attitude. I can't wait to read more, thanks for linking me in!
    Best,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, hug a redwood and then commit 100% to the training and then your crew. You are going to grow even stronger, like a redwood, weathering the storms and others will soon be hugging you! All the best, Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you can do it. WIth your positive attitude and infectious smile you will win them all over. It DOES sound like Boot Camp so if you're worried about the grub remember, you've got an open invitation for dinner at my house. ANytime. Good luck!
    Hugs
    MArlene

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought most went into boot camp at age 18? Never mind it's all in our head what we can do. Remember,tiny girl, the redwood cone like you is iddy biddy and like Dave said, you'll grow tall and strong during your new adventure. You have to come out on the other side a roaring woman! What a difference the year will make. Come to think about it are there redwoods in Sacramento?Thinking about you, Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a blog page that I've posted on a few times in the past 2 years, ROCK

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woman, you are going to be honed to a nice, sharp edge by the end of this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm curious to see your duffel bag.

    ReplyDelete